Parish Pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham

 

 

The Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham has been a place of pilgrimage for almost a thousand years. The village of Little Walsingham is located in Norfolk and had been the home of a Saxon noble woman named Richeldis de Faverches. Devotion to the Mother of our Lord, the Blessed Virgin Mary, was integral to the spirituality of Richeldis. In particular, the sense in which Mary intercedes to her Son on our behalf. In 1061, Richeldis was given a vision in which the Blessed Virgin Mary showed her the Holy House in Nazareth, the place where the angel Gabriel had announced the news to Mary that she had been chosen to be the Mother of our Lord. Richeldis ordered a shrine to built. The construction was based upon Richeldis' vision of the Holy House in Nazareth. It is for this reason that Walsingham is known as England's Nazareth. The original shrine was destroyed during the sixteenth century reformation in Britain and the dissolution of the Monastries. In 1931 however a new shrine was blessed and dedicated under the leadership of Fr. Hope Patten. Fr. Patten was vicar of Walsingham and later became the first priest administrator. Today people come to Walsingham on pilgrimage from around the world for devotion, rest, reconciliation, prayer, healing and retreat.

The Parish of Swindon New Town has enjoyed a long history of pilgrimage to Walsingham. Our next pilgrimage takes place on 7th to 11th August 2017. The present cost is for full board is to be confirmed. Please do be prepared to share accomodation.

For further details please contact Mrs Helen Watt on telephone 01793 520738 or the Parish Office on 01793 538 220.


Pilgrimages
Webpage icon On Pilgrimage